A malicious link known by the name WhatsApp Pink is being shared on WhatsApp group chats that claim it can change the theme of the chat to WhatsApp pink theme!
- A message is circulating on several WhatsApp groups to install a pink version of WhatsApp
- The message claims downloading the WhatsApp pink theme will change the default theme of the chat to pink and in addition, new features will be added
- Clicking on the link allows the cyber criminals to completely take over the device
- How to stay safe against such a virus
A new kind of virus is spreading rapidly across WhatsApp groups and one must be aware of such viruses to stay secure against cyber criminals.
Everyone using the WhatsApp mobile application must be well aware of the theme provided by the vendor, Facebook. It is green. However, a message is circulating on several WhatsApp groups claiming one can change the original green color of the WhatsApp logo to the WhatsApp pink theme. But, in order to do so the message claims one should click on an APK download link.
Yes, as easy as that, just click on the link and your theme will be changed to WhatsApp pink theme!
Moreover, to lure the victims and to make it look like a legitimate WhatsApp update, the message also claims that the link offers additional features.
So is this true?
No. Completely false!
Cyber Security Experts Advice
Cyber security experts have issued a warning about the message that is spreading like a wildfire across WhatsApp groups. According to the experts, clicking on the WhatsApp Pink link will open the door for cyber criminals to hack the users’ devices, and also they can lose access to their WhatsApp.
The security experts also said that the link performs no action as it is advertised in the group chat, such as changing the theme. Instead, it’s a tool for malicious actors to gain access to the targeted device. The experts also issued a high warning that the link is enough for the cyber criminals to not only gain access to the user’s device but also the valuable data stored in the device.
Rajshekhar Rajaharia, a cyber security expert wrote on Twitter, “Beware of WhatsApp Pink!! A Virus is being spread in WhatsApp groups with an APK download link. Don’t click any link with the name of #WhatsAppPink. Complete access to your phone will be lost.”
Along with the tweet, Rajshekhar Rajaharia also shared some images from the message that are spreading on the several WhatsApp group to download the WhatsApp Pink. As seen in the Twitter post above, the WhatsApp theme is shown in WhatsApp pink theme with the heading “WhatsApp launched new look officially,” and of course the word “Free.”
WhatsApp’s Statement on the Ongoing Controversary
Notably, this is not the first time cyber criminals are using WhatsApp to launch cyber attacks. The mobile application has been used oftentimes by cyber criminals as a breeding ground to spread several harmful electronic viruses.
When contacted, WhatsApp issued a statement:
“Anyone can get an unusual, uncharacteristic or suspicious message on any service, including email, and anytime that happens we strongly encourage everyone to use caution before responding or engaging. On WhatsApp in particular, we also recommend that people use the tools that we provide within the app to send us a report, report a contact or block contact.”
How to Stay Secure Against Viruses Like WhatsApp Pink?
Sharing malware on applications like WhatsApp or Twitter is not new. It has been going on for years, it’s just that new versions of malware are coming up as we go along. However, one can implement cyber security measures to prevent such cyber attacks.
Some of them are as mentioned below:
- Do not click on any link before confirming it’s legit and harmless
- Avoid forwarding such messages that offer free gifts or unofficial features
- Legitimate companies have qualified and trained employees to write messages on their behalf. So, if there are any grammatical or spelling mistakes in the message, always cross-check if it is from a legitimate organization
- Enforce strict policies that prevent employees from downloading attachments and documents from the internet without proper consideration
- Ensure that the use of personal devices for official purposes is restricted to every employee
- Provide cyber security awareness training to all employees in order to make them avoid such cyber threats. The key to preventing cyber attacks is to raise awareness and ensure employees are well informed about the level of cyber protection that is needed to protect the organization against cyber crimes
Comment down below your thoughts on the WhatsApp Pink theme. Also, if you enjoy reading my blog, you can follow us on LinkedIn or subscribe to our Newsletter to get regular cyber security updates and news.